[Hackrf-dev] Hackrf1 with gnuradio 3.7.11 win64.msi
j***@gmail.com
2018-06-12 11:12:46 UTC
Hello

I'm a french physics teacher not a computer expert
I use hackRf1 with grc on a Pentoo Linux USB stick boot with my students in electronics since 2 years to measure emission reception levels
with an hackrf1 for emission and a DBTV USB stick for reception both on the same computer
(I have been unable to install GRC under a Linux system otherwise)

I now try to use GRC/HackRF1 under Windows 7 ( which is my usual computer system)
The new .msi gnuradio windows installation 3.7.11 works in my computer under windows 7

GRC works without using external sources and sinks
But it doesn't works with Hackrf1 (osmocom source) it creates a python.exe bug

I tried with the DBTV USB stick rtlsdr source : grc doesn't communicate with the usb ( null source instead)

Do I need a pilot or something else to run osmocom and rtlsdr sources with GRC under windows 7?

Thank you for your help
Sincerely JFD

***@gmail.com

---
Dominic Spill
2018-06-12 16:17:13 UTC
On 12 June 2018 at 04:12, ***@gmail.com <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a french physics teacher not a computer expert
> I use hackRf1 with grc on a Pentoo Linux USB stick boot with my
students in electronics since 2 years to measure emission reception levels
> with an hackrf1 for emission and a DBTV USB stick for reception both
on the same computer
> (I have been unable to install GRC under a Linux system otherwise)
>
> I now try to use GRC/HackRF1 under Windows 7 ( which is my usual
computer system)
> The new .msi gnuradio windows installation 3.7.11 works in my
computer under windows 7

Where did the .msi file come from? could you give us a link to the
download?

> GRC works without using external sources and sinks
> But it doesn't works with Hackrf1 (osmocom source) it creates a
python.exe bug

> I tried with the DBTV USB stick rtlsdr source : grc doesn't
communicate with the usb ( null source instead)

> Do I need a pilot or something else to run osmocom and rtlsdr sources
with GRC under windows 7?

I suspect this is because while the .msi contained GNU Radio, GRC, and
gr-osmosdr, it doesn't include the libraries required for using HackRF or
the RTL-SDR devices that gr-osmosdr uses.

I don't have much experience of using them, but I've heard good things
about the binary packages hosted here:
http://downloads.myriadrf.org/builds/PothosSDR/

Thanks,
Dominic
j***@gmail.com
2018-06-12 19:11:51 UTC
***@gmail.com

From: Dominic Spill
Date: 2018-06-12 18:17
To: ***@gmail.com
CC: hackrf-dev
Subject: Re: [Hackrf-dev] Hackrf1 with gnuradio 3.7.11 win64.msi
On 12 June 2018 at 04:12, ***@gmail.com <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a french physics teacher not a computer expert
> I use hackRf1 with grc on a Pentoo Linux USB stick boot with my students in electronics since 2 years to measure emission reception levels
> with an hackrf1 for emission and a DBTV USB stick for reception both on the same computer
> (I have been unable to install GRC under a Linux system otherwise)
>
> I now try to use GRC/HackRF1 under Windows 7 ( which is my usual computer system)
> The new .msi gnuradio windows installation 3.7.11 works in my computer under windows 7

Where did the .msi file come from? could you give us a link to the download?

> GRC works without using external sources and sinks
> But it doesn't works with Hackrf1 (osmocom source) it creates a python.exe bug
>
> I tried with the DBTV USB stick rtlsdr source : grc doesn't communicate with the usb ( null source instead)
>
> Do I need a pilot or something else to run osmocom and rtlsdr sources with GRC under windows 7?

I suspect this is because while the .msi contained GNU Radio, GRC, and gr-osmosdr, it doesn't include the libraries required for using HackRF or the RTL-SDR devices that gr-osmosdr uses.

I don't have much experience of using them, but I've heard good things about the binary packages hosted here: http://downloads.myriadrf.org/builds/PothosSDR/

Thanks,
Dominic

Thank you for your answer
I tried to run GRC from the Pothos installation but GRC is unable to find my Python 2.7 already installed
I'll tried to reinstall Python 2.7

Sincerely
JF Devois

---