[Hackrf-dev] Two Dead Hacks
James Brown
2018-09-03 06:37:43 UTC
I managed to kill both my Hacks. Neither one will enumerate on the USB. Tried several machines. No Luck.
Is there a service for repair of these machines?
Bob
2018-09-04 13:09:35 UTC
Have you tried a DFU mode boot?

https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Updating-Firmware

Bob
WA2I
Chuck McManis
2018-09-04 17:55:34 UTC
Just out of curiosity (and a desire not to step into something) do you
know *how
*you killed the HackRFs? I've seen people who killed the input or output RF
amps because they weren't thinking about RF stages, and I've seen a couple
of reports of people killing them by using poorly regulated battery based
power supplies.
James Brown
2018-09-04 19:06:47 UTC
It was one of those “something’s not working on my Hack. I’ll try my second one” things.

I admit I was doing weirdness on the poor boards. I was trying out running USB over CAT 5 and had a USB transmitter and receiver setup with about 150 feet of CAT 5 between. The receiver, the unit near to the remote Hack was powered from a 5 V linear regulator (LM117 with pot and caps etc). Had the thing working pretty well with a bandwidth of 4 Mhz when disaster occurred.

I found that the CAT 5 receiver was also blown so I did something way wrong.

Some fun.

Michael Ossmann
James Brown
2018-09-05 00:21:45 UTC
That's a distinct possibility (and a costly one).